Wisdom teeth, also known as mandibular third molars, are located distally from the mandibular second molars and have no teeth posterior to them. They usually appear between the ages of 16-25, and are called wisdom teeth because they come in when a person is older and has gained some "wisdom".
Although I appreciate the confidence that the dentists that named the tooth had in us 20 yr olds by calling us wise, I would like to suggest that that is a silly name for the tooth. The tooth serves no practical or beneficial purpose. It merely exists to be taken out. Yes the teeth do provide an excuse to try laughing gas and to eat pineapple sherbet and pudding, but the inconveniences of not being able to chew or smile, and the striking resemblance to a woodland creature preparing for winter by packing food in the cheeks are enough to far out weigh the benefits. A definition of wisdom is "common sense; good judgement" and i hereby submit that wisdom teeth do not fit with that definition. Common sense would agree that we do not need the teeth, and good judgement would say that you do not call something that causes so much pain and inconvenience wise. I got my wisdom teeth out this weekend and the only bit of wisdom that i got out of it was a new and handy use for nylons (they make a perfect icebpack for your head, you can ice both cheeks with out having to hold the ice!) All in all, I would give up that bit of wisdom for the ability to eat as I please, play sports, and get my cheeks back to normal size. I'm sorry, I really have enjoyed watching movies, eating ice cream, and perfecting my smoothy making skills, I just had to vent about the irony that I experienced. And no, i am not storing food in my cheeks and yes nylons are tied around my head. So, all in favor of changing the name of the mandibular third molars from "wisdom teeth" to "incredibly annoying teeth" say I.
2 comments:
"I" haha but a very cute chipmunk! make all the boy chipmunks go... nutty? :)
Very funny Ashley! What a great writer you are. You and Cate could publish a book of humorous postings. I wonder if your posts will be as witty and clever now that you are less wise.
Post a Comment